Here’s hoping I could change your mind into dating that journalist in your life.
1. They will most definitely take you out to cool places: Journalists get invitations to go everywhere…literally. If you happen to be dating a Life & Style journo (which are the sexiest bunch, by the way), you are most definitely going to be attending fancy parties, eating out at chic restaurants, going to all types of concerts, trying out new activities, perhaps spending a few nights at luxury hotels, and just exploring the city. Did I mention that you do all this for free? Journalism is probably the least dull profession, and as their partner, you get to enjoy the perks of their job.
2. You don’t need to worry about tickets anymore: We’re too classy to worry about tickets. Just a simple phone call is all it takes to gain access to any event in town. Even if your journo partner is not covering that event, chances are, they know someone who can hook them up with tickets.
3. They could boost your career: Journalists are looking for their next story everywhere…even at home. So, if you’re an aspiring musician/artist/performer, they could review your work and maybe even write a feature about you. Even if your job needs no publicity, journalists can always help you get contacts at a company you hope to work for, or clients you hope to meet for your current job. You’re welcome.
4. They are a knowledgeable bunch: Being knowledgeable is part of their job requirements. They spend a chunk of their day reading about what’s going on everywhere. Maybe it’s not the number one quality you look for in a partner, but it’s usually quite a turn-on to know you’re with someone who knows at least a bit about everything. If you enjoy debating controversial topics, they’re definitely the best people to do that with. They can go on tirelessly for hours.
Apart from that, because they see the stories their colleagues work on, they can recommend the best in just about everything. The best eatery, pub, book, upcoming event, gadget…anything. They’ve either tried it and can recommend it, or they know someone who has.
5. They know how to dress: Ok. So maybe they don’t put a lot of effort into their appearances (unless they work for TV) but that’s a conscious choice. You’ll never see a journo going for an important interview in jeans and a T-shirt. They actually like to leave an impression. So while they might not wear their best suit/dress for an everyday press conference, when it comes to that big event they’ve been waiting for, they’ll pull out their best (and often sexiest) suit/dress…and it will be a vision.
6. They’ll get you cool freebies: Granted. Most of these will be shabby notebooks, pens, stationary items, USBs, and the occasional mugs. But every once in a while, you’ll find your journo partner obsessing over their latest goodie bag. That could contain anything from a gift voucher or a book, to samples of some cool new product. If you’re dating a Technology writer, you’ll often see them with cool gadgets that might not even be out in the market yet. How awesome is that?!
7. They will appreciate everything you do for them: This point is highly debatable. Pop culture has a history of perpetuating journalists as arrogant, rude, selfish people who expect to get everything they want. In reality, we know how hard it is to get what we want so if you spoil us with the tiniest bit of attention, we’ll be eternally grateful (and we have our creative ways to show it). Just keep in mind that our day involves dealing with rude interviewees, chasing useless PR people, and dealing with unthoughtful editors. So, please do understand if we’re frustrated by the time we get back home. All we ask for is someone with a bit of patience, and from there, whatever you do will undeniably go a long way.
8. They will never be overly-attached: Simply put, journalists don’t really have time to dwell on (non-work related) details, and ask you a million questions about your life. Because they’re usually busy (day and night), you’ll get your own space, and you’ll never feel suffocated by them.
Are you lusting for a journalist already? Do call me if you are.
Ha ha. Totally NOT kidding.
If not me, then by all means, grab your phone, and ask out the journo in your life. I promise you a lifetime of adventure, and you can mark my word on that one.